However, this milestone has been achieved with a mix of emotions. Though I completed all of my course requirements in December, I was still in the same city with all of my college friends and returning to campus multiple times throughout the week to be with them. In addition, I have continued to occasionally meet with professors and attend CLP's (programs on campus) of interest with Keith. Despite the academic part of college being completed in December, I have still felt very much apart of the Furman community over the past few months. Though many asked me if it felt odd coming to campus to walk in the Commencement ceremony, it truly did not because I had remained so involved during Spring term. However, this is the first time in 18 years that I do not feel like "summer" has begun. Unlike most of my friends, I will not be returning to my parents' home after graduation or working at a camp one final summer. Keith and I will continue to live and work in Greenville and will not experience any immediate changes following this semester unlike years past.
At Furman I was truly blessed with an incredible group of friends which is what makes this most recent milestone so difficult to come to terms with. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud of myself for receiving my degree from Furman! It is a wonderful accomplishment and I feel so blessed to have been able to attend that institution. However, leaving the precious relationships that have formed over the past four years was very hard to do. I know there will always be e-mails, phone conversations, and SKYPE dates, but it will not be the same as grabbing lunch in the Pden, going for a walk around the lake or gathering together for a snack and our favorite TV show.
The reality that all of my friends would be returning to their home towns or wherever they have been offered a job only a day after graduation did not sink in until the moment actually came for me to say good-bye. [At the Greenville Drive stadium where the graduation after party was being held for our entire class...of all places...ah!] Though I had known that I would be saying bye to everyone that night, no overwhelming emotions had set in - not even an hour and a half into our time at the party. But then, did the water-works ever start! Hugging friends good-bye and fully realizing that my college experience of being surrounded constantly by best friends had ended was very sobering.
Nevertheless, it is over. No matter how much I would love being in the same city with all of these girls forever that is not how it works. As the President of Furman University told us during his commencement speech, it is time for us to leave, but we are ready! I will always be thankful for the relationships that were formed during these four years and the fun memories that were made. I was blessed with an a-m-a-z-i-n-g college experience and I know not everyone is so fortunate! So, I will be thankful for the past four years and try and look forward to what the Lord has in store for us! [But not without excitement and anticipation for a certain July wedding that will reunite us all again ;-) ]
2 comments:
I enjoyed reading your thoughts on graduation and your college experience. It was fun watching as you reached this milestone. Love you!
It still hasn't hit me completely yet! Great post and that picture at the bottom is already making me miss everyone.
Post a Comment