Thursday, April 9, 2009

How I Met a Reality TV Star

Last night, about five minutes until closing, I sighed as I realized that more customers were coming through the door. I really wanted to get home so that Keith and I would be on time for our reservations at Sassafras and still have time to walk there. Two women entered the store in their running clothes casually talking to one another and fiddling with their cell phones. I briefly catch a glimpse of one of the women's faces before she looks back down at her phone and realize that Tara Costa from the current reality TV show "Biggest Loser" has just entered the store where I work of ALL places!!!!



**Tara prior to losing weight**

[Note to those of you who do not watch the show: Biggest Loser is a reality TV show on which overweight individuals are on a ranch where all they do is work out until they are eliminated. This season is "Biggest Loser Couples" so there is a lot of strategy as alliances are formed throughout their time at the ranch. The show airs Tuesday nights at 8:00 pm on NBC. Tara is on the current season so she actually came in the store the night after it had been on television. Anyway, Tara is probably the most motivated and driven of anyone at the ranch right now. She is consistently winning challenges and has lost so much weight and really seems to be there for the right reasons. Many of you may be thinking: so what? Well, this is kind of a big deal for me because this is the ONLY reality TV show (or TV show period) that Keith and I are watching together right now. At least I know Keith understands :) Continue reading to find out about our encounter...]


My heart begins to pound as I ponder the reality of Tara actually being in the store - am I seeing things??? Am I certain it is her? "Wow, she looks amazing! She looks like a size 6 now! Wow!" I think to myself. Being a good sales clerk I approach the women, as I do with every customer, and ask if they are looking for anything special today. Unfortunately, Tara had turned her back to me when I approached them and was still messing with her cell phone and I was unable to get a good look at her face again. So...I began straightening clothes nearby her and waited (probably uncomfortably close) for her to turn around. Then, it happens! She turns and looks at me - I KNOW it is her!!!! Without hesitating, I asked, "Are you Tara??" "Yeahhh," she replies in her New York accent. (without saying anything else...) At this point I am thinking: "What do I say to her??? Do I let her peruse the store in peace? Mmmm...No :) I want to ask questions! Who cares if I am that annoying 'fan' that wants to talk to her - Keith will never believe this - play cool..." So, I asked her: "So do you get recognized often?" "Around here I do," she replied continuing to text. Momentarily she looks up and begins to ask me if I can remember the name of the movie that has Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning it. "Uptown Girls!" I proclaimed (ecstatic to be casually chatting with Tara). We then got on the topic of what a good thread count is for sheets. I told her mine were a 500 count and that the higher the better. (I hope I am right, however, I do not want to be discussing bed sheets...back to Biggest Loser.) I then tell her that I fell asleep last night right before elimination and asked who got sent home adding that I knew it wasn't her. "So you didn't see what Laura did? Yeah, I'm still on there," she replied. "But, you'll just have to watch it to see what happens." (Laura is her partner who had the ONLY vote this week after winning a "temptation challenge.") She then tells me that she is obsessed with the color green right now (probably because that was her team color at the ranch) and that she wants to find a great dress for the finale and asks me where else she should look in Greenville. We chatted a bit more - I told her she looked fabulous - and then right before they walked out the door I had a final *Reality TV Dorky Fan Moment* and asked if I could take a picture with her! "I'm actually not allowed to before the finale - but I'll come back afterwards and we can take one then," she replies as she edges toward the door. "Sounds good! Take care!" I said as they walked out the door.

These are my thoughts on the encounter: Yes, I totally turned into a nervous, glistening, dorky fan and interrupted her time shopping with her friend. However, I would like to think that she enjoys being recognized during her 15 minutes of fame on Biggest Loser and told by people over and over again how fabulous she looks! And, hopefully, she was not creeped out, but flattered, that I asked to take a picture with her. Please do not tell me otherwise! This is actually interesting for me to think about, because one of MY best friends was actually on a reality TV show a couple of years ago and I was with her one time when she was recognized. I think I had just as much fun being with someone who was recognized as I did actually doing the recognizing!

Thank you reality TV stars for entertaining me with your real life events, relationships, emotions, and thoughts. Sometimes I can't believe the way you expose yourselves, (hechum Jason Mesnic, Melissa..etc...this does not include, my 'friend' Tara) but I find you very entertaining!

Go TARA!


2 comments:

K said...

R - That's bizarre! I'm with you ... go, Tara!

Lauren said...

i totally would have asked for a pic. that is awesome!!!