Saturday, April 18, 2009

Our Apartment Was Broken Into Friday Night...

By Keith! On Friday Keith's parents arrived in Greenville for a weekend visit. Keith and I surprised his mom with a wine tasting for her birthday and we left the apartment just before 6:30 to get to North Hampton.  I usually take my purse with me wherever I go, but that night I just wanted to take my Hobo wallet.  Keith asked where his keys were and then where my keys were so I assumed that he would have a house key.  Seconds after closing the door Keith realized we were locked out.  Neither one of us had a key and there is no landlord on site for our apartment building.  Since there was nothing we could do, we went on to the wine tasting and had dinner at Lazy Goat afterwards.  Thankfully, we were able to forget about being locked out and enjoy the tasting and dinner!

When we arrived back at the apartment shortly before 10:00 pm, we immediately went inside the main part of the apartment building in search of a hanger.  Luckily, there were some extra hangers in the laundry room.  Unfortunately, the hanger tactic did not help us in breaking into the apartment.  Soo...we called the emergency maintenance man, Jack! (The handy man I mentioned in my previous post.) We knew when we called him that he would not have a key, but could give us the emergency number of the property manager.  Unfortunately, the property manager did not call us back until the next morning around 9:00 am.  

So what did we do? Well, when we spoke with Jack he suggested that if worst comes to worst that we break the bedroom window! Fortunately, (I guess) it was already in poor condition and needed replacing because the prior tenant had broken it and not replaced it properly.  Jack had already been looking into getting us a new window, so it was nice that he gave us the go ahead to break the bedroom window if need be.  So, bust the glass window we did! Thank goodness we didn't wait long to hear back from the property manager, otherwise we would have been standing outside in the chilly night air for longer than necessary. 

I wish I had my camera when Keith was trying to break into the apartment by the light of his parents' cell phones! It was quite comical! I just hate that the ONE time this has happened all year that we were having guests spend the night...and sleeping in our bedroom...with only a trash bag and towel to shield them from the elements! Not exactly the kind of hospitality I would have liked to provide my mother and father-in-law! Oh well :) We all had a good laugh! Here are some pictures:



Keith checking out the glass from the inside after we got back in.


Out with the duck tape!

You gotta do whatcha gotta do!

Hey it works, right?

I hope everyone had a wonderful and restful weekend!

No comments: